When enabled, Skeddly can create VSS-enabled EBS snapshots. The following action types support VSS-enabled EBS snapshots:
- Backup Multiple EC2 Instances
- Backup EC2 Instance
- Create Multiple EBS Snapshots
- Create EBS Snapshot
VSS-enabled EBS snapshots are also available when using Skeddly's Managed Instances.
To enable VSS-enabled EBS snapshots, select one of the "VSS-Enabled via SSM" choices in the "Consistency Method" field:
Since VSS is not supported on all EC2 instances, a fallback method is selected as well. When snapshots are being created, if Skeddly determines that VSS-enabled snapshots cannot be created, the fallback method will be used instead.
In order to create VSS-enabled EBS snapshots, the following is required:
- The EC2 instance must be running Windows Server 2008 R2 or later.
- The EC2 instance must be running SSM Agent version 126.96.36.199 or later.
- AWS Tools for Windows PowerShell version 188.8.131.52 or later.
- The EC2 instance must be running an IAM role which gives it permissions to receive and execute SSM commands (EC2 Run Commands).
- The EC2 instance must have outbound access to the internet via port 443.
- Skeddly will create an SSM document called
Skeddly-VssCreateSnapshotsin each region where EBS snapshots are to be created.
- Skeddly will install the AWS VSS Components on the EC2 instances as part of the backup process.
- The IAM role which the EC2 instance is using does not need to have any of the snapshot permissions. Those are supplied by the Skeddly IAM role/user.
- Ensure you use Skeddly's IAM Policy Generator to include all necessary commands in your IAM role's/user's permission document.